Sunday, January 25, 2009

Basin City 2nd Ward Conference

Today was our Ward Conference. The them was from D & C 64...talking about forgiveness. Bishop Nielson gave two examples. The first one was from the scriptures, about forgiving our debtors. The second example was from a very recent event that took place to a member of his family. His nephew, Collin Nielson, was killed by a driver while working on road construction. His wife had called him and they talked for a short time before saying "I love you" to each other. That was the last thing she said to him before he was hit. The trial for the driver took place November 2007 in Kirkland WA. The offending driver was in tears and pleading with the family saying how sorry he was for his actions. Sarah, Collin Nielson's wife spoke to the man saying that she didn't hate him and forgave him. It made me think about all the people in my life that I have not forgiven and still hold a grudge against. Do I need that kind of toxic stuff attacking my spirit just because it is easier to hate than forgive? How many people have I offended because I was hateful, rather than forgiving because I jumped to conclusions and made assumptions about that person? I know that returning to live in Basin City has stirred a lot of emotions in me...good and bad. I remember struggling as a young girl, wanting to please my teachers, and yet the one I needed approval from wouldn't acknowledge me and even labeled me by giving me the "slow turtle" award. I thought it was ironic that when he and his wife eventually did have a child, they had a girl. But I still struggle with those emotions whenever I see him. I really struggle to show forgiveness, especially with people I know. This may be one of my greatest weaknesses...next to my driving skills;)

No comments:

Post a Comment